CEOs and entrepreneurs work hard. They move from meeting to meeting, city to city and event to event at a very fast pace and for more hours than what an average business person works. Sometimes it’s difficult to step away from it to get a deep breath and actually evaluate yourself, the company and your team. Maintaining your health while working long hours and traveling allows you the extra room to evaluate without worry.
I’m constantly reminding myself to take care of my health; when I’m healthy, the company is also healthy. I frequently travel between California and Florida and many other locations like Costa Rica and Europe. Enclosed spaces, like the cabin of a plane with hundreds of other passengers, are breeding grounds for disease, and moving from one climate to another also often causes illness. Throughout my travels I’m frequently asked how I stay healthy. I have a few tips that work for me, which may also work for you.
- Stay hydrated – in the mind, spiritually and with water. I read business books to keep my mind fresh and help further my knowledge base; I maintain faith that there is something greater; and I stay hydrated with water to flush my system out.
- Sleep schedule: Flights are an exceptional place to catch up on shut-eye; however, drooling on your neighbor is not ideal. If you are traveling to a different time zone, try to begin the transition to the new time zone the day you are set to travel.
- Exercise: It isn’t always easy while traveling, but finding something local and fun helps get me the exercise I need while away from home. I especially like snowboarding.
- Don’t overindulge. It might seem easy to enjoy the extras while traveling, especially as you hop from meeting to meeting at restaurants, bars or catered events. Be mindful of how much you indulge – which includes food and beverages – as it can leave you feeling lethargic for the next meeting or unable to fully participate.
- Relax: Make sure you relax, whether you use music or take deep breaths throughout the day. Don’t forget that relaxation is a major part of staying healthy and stress-free.
- Stay positive. Traveling has its hindrances and things we can’t always control. Remember to go with the flow and know that you can only control your own emotions.
While these tips aren’t the end-all, be-all of staying healthy while traveling, they are a few tricks that work well for me. Everyone is different – there are some people who get sick much more quickly than others and some always work through their illnesses. We each have our own ticks that seem to help us stay healthy. What are some tips that help you stay healthy while you travel?
– Jonathan Cronstedt is the CEO of Empower Network, LLC. Empower Network is a leading affiliate marketing and direct sales company that’s helping tens of thousands enjoy the “Empowered Lifestyle.” Jonathan enjoys travel, spending time with his wife and red wine.